Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Money for Nothing by Dire Straits

My dad loved this song.  He simply could not get enough of it.  When it first came out, he played it as often, as loudly, and as embarrassingly as he could!  
 

The LOUD:
His favorite place to play this song was in his new company car - an '85 Thunderbird.  He loved that car - it was kind of sporty and it was a 2-door.  It was kind of an odd choice for someone who might be driving clients around, but he loved it.  It had a digital speedometer and I particularly liked that I could see if we were ever approaching 88 miles per hour.  Sadly, we never were.  My dad thought the car was super cool and so did I.  He loved playing Money for Nothing in that car.  He loved how it started out so quietly, then built up, getting louder and louder.  He would start with the volume already turned up, so that by the time the song escalated, your eardrums were ringing. He thought it was hilarious when we would cover our ears and squeal with excitement and possibly because we were being audibly tortured.

The EMBARRASSING:
One evening we went out to Mountain Mikes for dinner.  There was a jukebox and he went over to check out the selection. To no one's surprise, a few minutes later the familiar strains of Money for Nothing started playing.  The song ended and ... Money for Nothing started playing again.   It ended and.... for the third time - Money for Nothing!  My dad is giggling into his pizza at this point. 

Something happened to that tape so I purchased a new copy a few years later for his birthday or Christmas or something.  He didn't listen to it much and I was disappointed because I was really proud of that gift.  He confessed later that it made him think about my mom and the divorce which made him sad.  I felt badly about that, but I reminded him of these memories and how clearly happy the song made him.  I wonder if it worked?






No comments:

Post a Comment