Monday, August 26, 2013

I Want a New Drug by Huey Lewis and the News

We were supposed to be coming home from Pinecrest today, but because of the 7th largest forest fire in California's history happening a mere 20 miles away from Pinecrest, we elected to stay home.  Why don't travel back in time to get to Pinecrest, back in the summer of 1983 or 1984.  Probably 1984 after a quick internet search reveals that Sports hit Number 1 on the Billboard chart in the summer of '84.

My mom and I were walking near the lake, probably not around it as I was pretty young, but just near it.  Maybe we were going back to the car, maybe we were just on a walk, not sure.  I seem to remember she was already upset about something, so she was listening to Huey Lewis on her Walkman to get a moment of peace and I was being just an extraordinary pest.  I wanted to listen to it, too.  I wanted to listen to it RIGHT NOW.  Please Mom.  PLEASE MOM.  She would shoo me, say no, but I was relentless.  I remember even feeling like I was being a brat, but I couldn't stop.  I am pretty sure she finally gave in and I remember it not feeling like that much of a victory because she was upset.

Mom, I apologize many years too late, but I am really really sorry!  First of all, I now know that you were most likely upset because you been (once again) left alone at the campsite with 2 kids, while everyone else was off fishing.  You probably really needed that quick decompression.  I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND NOW.  Be assured, Dexter is making sure that payback is a ... well it's not great.  I should've been less of a brat.  Nothing of mine is sacred.  No privacy, that's a given.  I can barely finish a phone call because he wants the phone, he wants to HOLD the phone, he wants to walk all over the house with the phone, pressing mute, making any phone call impossible.  If I am reading, he wants to read, too, and turn the pages before I am ready.  He wants Up, Up, Up Mommy, even if I am tired, even if my back or arms ache.  Mommy is eating a peach?  He wants the rest of that peach.  Sometimes I say no, but I am finding myself saying yes too often.  He is just so darn persistent...I wonder where he gets that from?

No comments:

Post a Comment