Saturday, August 10, 2013

Suddenly I See by KT Tunstall

I was sitting in my parked car on Townsend St.  I was pumping myself up for a job interview, taking a last look at my makeup, gathering my thoughts and my things.  I had been laid off shortly after getting married and while it was fun being the little woman, cooking and cleaning and creating a little home for my new husband, the time had come to get serious about going back to work.  I had landed an interview with the San Francisco Giants!  Talk about perfect - it was sponsorship management with a professional baseball team.  I would have to go to work at the ballpark every day!  I would have to go to all of the home games!  Heaven!  My last job title was Sponsor Services Representative so I was certainly qualified.  I was wearing a new suit and I was listening to Suddenly I See.  I was pysched!

I had read somewhere that you should have a song to listen to on the way to an interview so you can get out of your head in those last minutes.  More importantly, you get into a positive mindset.  I had recently binge watched the first half of the first season of Ugly Betty.  At the very end of the first episode when she landed her first job, she was walking down the streets of New York City in slow mo to the tune of Suddenly I See.  The lyrics continue:  This is what I want to be!  Suddenly I See, why it is it means so much to me.  It fit perfectly and I totally pulled this song from Ugly Betty. It really was a great show that first season.

The job interview wasn't great.  I remember saying a few things that made me cringe in the moment and many times later on.  The kicker though was when he dropped the salary bomb on me.  $32K.  Some general benefits, but no parking.  In San Francisco.  No perks to speak of.  It was apparently supposed to be enticing enough to be granted the privilege of working for MLB.  I did not have an inflated view of myself, but I did have an MBA and experience in the field.  $32K.  I think he saw it in my face, but for whatever reason, I didn't get a call back.  It wasn't what I was meant to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment