Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Wild Thing by Tone Loc

I was waiting impatiently for Kevin G. and his mom to arrive to pick me up for swim practice.  The sounds of Wild Thing could surely be heard several houses away.  It was the song of the moment and I had the single - the record single.  My dad had a pretty sweet setup back then with an amplifier, multiple large speakers, record player, dual cassette player.  You could set it up any way you wanted to like rock, classical, ballroom; or adjust the treble and the bass just right.  Most importantly for my dad, it was super loud.  He loves it loud, as I think I have mentioned in a previous post.  I was pretty proud of my super cool taste in music and the sound system and I wanted it to be playing, loudly, when Kevin arrived so that I could impress him.  Did I mention I had an unrequited crush on him? 

So there I was, waiting, starting the record over and over so that it would be playing when he arrived.  This totally backfired of course.  The look on his face when I answered the door was priceless.  It was a combination of annoyance (why wasn't she watching out the window so she could run outside when we got here?!) and embarrassment (why did my mom make me go get her?!).  To make it even more awkward, I had to apologize for having to run back and turn off the stereo when we were probably already borderline late. Meanwhile, Kevin was already halfway back to the car in the middle of me saying anything.  The next time they picked me up, I am sure I was running out the door as soon as I saw the car pull up.   


No comments:

Post a Comment