Thursday, October 22, 2015

Ramble On by Led Zeppelin

Remember that 1998 Basses Bus heading down to the U$C game that I spoke about?  No?  That's ok. Turns out I don't remember much of it either! Regardless, once it got to LA, we performed the Led Zeppelin show.  I have to admit, I hadn't listened to much Zeppelin prior to playing this show, but I was an insta-convert.  The show was pretty amazing, if I do say so.  It started out with a couple bars from Heartbreaker and then went right into Good Times Bad Times.  Followed by Kashmir, Dancing Days, Ramble On, and finally Stairway.  Stairway started off as a solo by Shuichi, joined by 4 more trumpets, and finally the rest of the band joined in.  The show concluded by fading out to just Shuichi again...and she's buying a stairway to heaven.  I thought it was brilliant.  I was super excited to perform against U$C and I thought we would bring the house down.  I was wrong.

It was received badly.  Really badly.  There was some booing.  There was some really nasty talk by their band.  It's not like we stunk up the joint, but that's just kind of how it goes when you are in U$C's house. It left such an impression on me I may have even brought up their treatment of us to some random dad at Dexter's school who was wearing a U$C shirt this weekend at the pumpkin patch.  Maybe.  But those U$C folks really do kind of suck!

Luckily we reprised the show at home against fUCLA later that month.  I had to look it up, but it seems that we had an away game to UDub between U$C and fUCLA and I don't really remember why we repeated a show.  I think it was the only time we had done so in my 4 years in the band. However, it gave us a chance to perform for a receptive, appreciative audience.

Ramble On is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs now.  I still picture it, when we switched from....and I am totally drawing a blank here....but from one style of marching to another that totally worked with the music, right as the chorus kicked in. It was awesome. Years later still, a friend told me to listen carefully, as the third verse has a reference to the Lord of the Rings.  Fond memories and a LOTR reference in one song?  Can't beat that.  What can and should be beat? Both U$C and fUCLA, this month, one right after the other!

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember anymore if we led with our left foot or out right foot. However, I have permanently etched in my mind from band camp: "smooth-an'-smooth-an'-smooth-an'-MIDDLE. Smooth-an'-smooth-an'-smooth-an'-CLOSE." Couldn't tell you the name of the step, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the only one i remember, too!!! No idea what it's called. But i think it's smooth and LINE. :) could be wrong though!

    ReplyDelete