Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mr. Vain by Culture Beat

It was my very first party with actual German kids.  The COOL kids.  I hadn't been to a party with the cool kids ever and I was beyond excited.  What should I wear?  Would there be lots of drinking?  Dancing?  Would the cute boy in my class be there?  Daniel knew how to throw a party and it lived up to all my expectations.  There was drinking.  There was dancing.  There were cute boys.  The song of the moment was Mr. Vain.  We listened to it more than once throughout the course of the evening.  I was so excited to see how the cool kids lived - I got to hear all kinds of gossip about who dated who, what happened during a party last year, who likes whom.  I was learning all kinds of cool German words and expressions.  I started getting to know the girls in my class (Manu, Sabse, Acki, Chrischdle, Nina, Diana) in a social setting.  It was an exclusive bunch - there were only 6 girls, well 8, counting me and Stacey, in the class, compared to 14 or 16 boys!  I also spent a lot of time talking to Stacey, the other exchange student, and we commiserated about being away from home and not quite understanding everything that was being said.  It was the first of many very fun parties with what grew to be some very good friends.

Call him Mr. Right or call him Mr. Wrong.  Call him Mr. Vain.  I just googled the lyrics and they unanimously say Mr. Raider.   I remember thinking at the time how odd it was that I had so much trouble discerning the lyrics to a song sung in English.  Mr. Raider still makes no sense to me to this day.  I'm still going with Mr. Right. 

4 comments:

  1. From Sabine D.: Kräääääääsiiiii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Manuela B.: Jennifer, ich hab da ein Mix-Tape von Dir, da sind noch viele weitere coole Sachen der 90er drauf..

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Ellen D.: Können wir dieses Mixtape im Juli/August hören???

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Christiane F.:
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7NrM3egoe2c
    Hier übrigens die nowadays "Erwachsenen"-Version, gecovert vom Macher von Culture Beat personally....

    ReplyDelete