Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Hip Hop Hooray by Naughty by Nature

It was my first real high school party.  Sort of.  My dad stayed in his room, so it wasn't truly one of those ragers you threw when your parents were out of town.  And there was no booze. Fine, so let's call it a plain old high school party.  The truth is I didn't expect it to compare to the high school parties I attended in Germany, but it still ended up being awfully fun.

My Dad had spent the fall remodeling the house, with our help.  Part of the remodel included white carpets throughout the house.  This meant that anyone who entered the house had to remove their shoes. Imagine the pile of shoes made by 30 teenagers.  Then imagine said teenagers discovering how much fun it is to run and slide across the hardwood in the entryway.  Super fun.  Did I mention 30 teenagers?  It was a great turnout - all the cool kids (in the band) were there.  There might've even been some non-band friends there, but the most important guest was my adorable German boyfriend. In fact, he was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to throw the party, aside from the fact that I liked parties a whole lot and it was definitely my turn to throw one by that point in the year.  I wanted my friends to get to know Bastian, and let's be honest, I wanted to show him off.

Dave T. came through with the best music, as always.  The sounds of Hip Hop Hooray-ho-hey-ho came over the speakers and I saw Dave throw his hands in the air, followed by everyone else.  I had never heard the song before and in that moment, I had never felt cooler.  Until the moment that a CD got stuck in the CD player.  There was a split second of panic and in the blink of an eye, Dave, Mauricio L, and Bastian had disconnected the CD player, whisked it into the garage, and started performing an emergency disk removal. I loved this moment, the possibility we broke something, the boys coming to the rescue.  In my mind, it was the mark of a great party. It was tense for a moment, but they were ultimately successful, my dad was never the wiser, and the music was soon blasting from the speakers again.

No comments:

Post a Comment