Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Umbabarauma by Jorge Ben

Mark F. was one of the first people I met at the Monterey Institute.  We were assigned to the same team for a scavenger hunt during orientation week.  We had a lot in common like the fact that we were both living in San Francisco and working for Telco companies before starting MIIS and we both spoke Spanish.  It wasn't until later that I learned that we also both loved making music mix CDs and DJing at parties and get togethers.  Mark is a lot of fun, full of self deprecating humor, and very smart.  Sadly, we didn't work on very many academic teams together, but I always counted on seeing him at any social event. 

It wasn't until the very end of our 2 years at MIIS that I finally got my very own Mark Mix.  In fact, I think we had already graduated and we were all packing up our apartments.  It was an impromptu get together at Mark and Liam's house and he finally gave me the CD.  To be fair, it's not like I had been asking for 2 years.  I am just lamenting not having more of them!  The mix is excellent with a wide variety of styles and even different languages.  This presented a challenge for me as I hate seeing Track 01, Track 02 in iTunes.  Thanks to Google and Shazam I was eventually able to figure them all out.  My favorite song on the CD is the very first one:  Umbabarauma.  It is awesome.  The song starts with this rumbling, low beat and it then escalates into this very exciting song.  I have no idea what Umbabarauma means, but once I figured out it was Brazilian Portuguese I was able to ascertain that the song was about a soccer player.  I put it on my own mix when I worked in soccer marketing and it was a huge hit with the soccer players when I played it during tournaments.  I liked it so much I even put the song on our Wedding Mix.  Thank you Mark for introducing me to such an amazing song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment