Saturday, December 7, 2013

I Believe in Santa Claus by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton

It was shortly before Christmas in, I want to say the late 90's, and we were visiting the M Family in Lafayette.  We decided it would be fun to head into San Francisco for the day for some window shopping and probably a Ghirardelli sundae, although I can't remember the specifics of what we did that day.  What I do remember is we decided to all pile into Aunty P's 1992 (right?) Honda Civic.  Imagine, 2 people in front and 4 grown people (3 girls + Matt) in the backseat.  In a Civic.  We were going through the Caldecott Tunnel laughing hysterically because the tunnel has this rhythm or something to it and it seems like you go over bumps at a regular pace.  Every time we would hit a bump, we thought for sure we would bottom out.  Not super hilarious in reality, but the situation certainly warranted laughter.

We were also listening to the Kenny and Dolly Christmas Album.  I don't know anyone else who listens to this during the holidays, but it is a tradition in our 2 families.  I am sure one of the moms introduced it to the other one.  Kenny and Dolly were both popular in the 80's, but this album is the cheesiest thing imaginable.  It is mostly Dolly's fault, but it is so gosh dang cheerful and jolly, you just can't stand it!  The best line is when she sings:  "I believe in miracles!  I believe in magic, too!"  Her voice breaks on "magic" and it is hysterical.  Julene sang along with her that day in the car and got the giggly "magic" just right.  I have the album mixed into my Christmas playlist and look forward to hearing it every year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment