Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Story of My Life by Social Distortion

In the days before kids, spouses, and families getting bigger and more complicated, we had a pre-Christmas celebration with the M family.  It was always a lot of fun and included dinner, a gift exchange, and photos taken while wearing goofy hats like elf ears, Christmas lights, and reindeer antlers.  One year Steven G. brought his Wii and I was initially a little annoyed because I figured we could entertain ourselves just fine without it.  I kind of have this thing against parties and activities that revolve around the television.  Super Bowl, I am talking to you!  But then Steven pulled out the accessories for the game Rock Band and I completely changed my opinion.  Why had I never played this before?  Why wasn't I being invited to Rock Band parties?  Why didn't I buy it for myself?  (I don't know.  I don't know.  This was another example of me being too cheap to buy something for myself, even though I would have enjoyed it immensely).

Rock Band challenges you to "play" instruments such as the drums or guitar or sing along to the music.  It is full of great songs, everything from Aerosmith to Green Day to Garbage.  The game gives you the notes and it is up to you to not only get the right notes, but play them at the right time.  It is super fun, the crowd sings along with you, and you can totally play into it and pretend you are a rock star as you play your guitar as awesomely as possible.  I loved it!  Frank R. took a turn on guitar and selected a song I had never heard before.  He played it nearly perfectly, with all the confidence of a rock star.  I was so impressed with both his Rock Band skills and his knowledge of songs.  I was still getting to know Frank and did not yet realize what a wide reaching, interesting range of music he liked. Some of the songs I knew, but a lot of them I did not, giving me all kinds of new stuff to download, enjoy, and add to the Story (and Soundtrack) of My Life. 

1 comment:

  1. From Frank R: Aw, thank you, Jen! i certainly didn't feel like a "rock star" playing that; I felt pretty awkward! But, fake it 'till your inlaws think you make it!

    ReplyDelete