Thursday, October 2, 2014

Hot Child in the City by Nick Gilder

I was in my car with Christine W. and we had just taken the Joaquin Miller Rd exit off of Highway 13.  Hot Child in the City started playing on my mix CD.  She was delighted with this song, as was I.  I can't speak for her, but the first time I had ever heard this song was on an episode of Sex and the City. It was an excellent episode in Season 3, all about acting like a teenager, hanging out on a hot summer day, and smoking pot.  The song practically demands that you chill out, kick back, and relax.  It is excellent. In fact, when we met, Nick said that this song actually reminded him of ME.  This might have been a line, but I was incredibly flattered and also validated because that was kind of what I was going for back then.  Being hot.  And living (near) the city. 

Back to the car ride, we were heading to a party at Scott B's house.  It might have been the first of his annual oyster parties, although I can't say for sure.  This guy is a real character and I met him in Spanish class during my sophomore year at Cal.  He was renting a downstairs unit of a women's house in the Oakland hills.  He had access to the yard and hot tub and amazing view.  He had had a number of interesting jobs, most notably, chef on a private yacht that belonged to the Hiltons.  He was such a relaxing, interesting, welcoming person, with fun, colorful friends, and an afternoon at his house was an afternoon well spent.  I had never eaten oysters, but was game to try them.  He had prepared amazing dipping sauces and I learned how to shuck them.  I tried them both raw and BBQ'd.  We also BBQ'd chocolate chip cookies, which I was surprised to find out is totally possible and also delicious.  There were amazing dips, like roasted eggplant with chopped parsley.  Strawberries with mint and balsamic. Tri Tips and crusty bread.  It was an endless feast, perfect weather, and great conversations.  I went to several oyster parties thereafter and always had a memorable time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment