Tuesday, October 20, 2015

....Baby One More Time by Britney Spears

At the risk of embarrassing him, and although he is very comfortable in his skin, I'm just going to say it.  Vince used to really like this song!  To be honest, I think he probably saw the video, which let's face it, schoolgirl outfit, sultry voice, that's hot stuff.  In any case, it seemed more than appropriate to make sure this song factored into their wedding party somehow.

Vince and Tammy were married in a very small ceremony (I believe) at the court.  They later hosted a gathering in their apartment in Fremont.  It was nothing fancy, just their close friends and family together celebrating the two of them.  It was actually pretty great.  My wedding was beautiful, but I don't remember a lot of it, I definitely didn't get a chance to talk to everyone there, and in spite of careful planning, the DJ STILL played a couple songs off of my DO NOT PLAY list.  Simple and do-it-yourself has its merits! But I digress.  Back to Fremont.  After realizing that Mitch was not in attendance, I took it upon myself to step into the Best Man role.  I was not necessarily assigned to the role or asked to do it.  I just did it.  I took it very seriously and decided that there should be some wedding-y stuff, whether they wanted it or not!  I think I remember we had them recreate a wedding march down the hallway into the apartment. I recruited Vince's sister and brother-in-law and we organized speeches, toasts, and even a getaway car. Let's not forget, Vince and Tammy weren't getting away to anywhere.  They lived there.  But we thought it would be fun to decorate their car with shaving cream, tin cans, etc.  And boy was Vince mad when he found out I used (up) his shaving cream.  Sorry Vince!

To be honest, I am not sure if we really played Britney Spears, but the song reminds me of Vince and it was a good reason to share this story.  I am still honored to have been included in the celebration and looking forward to celebrating many more occasions with the two of them!

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure "Baby One More Time" was in my music rotation at the time, so it likely got played, at least until Tammy's friends hijacked my computer and started downloading and playing their music.

    Your memory is amazing. The only details that I can correct are that the party was in Mountain View, not Fremont, and my sis and her beau weren't married yet.

    And yes, I was pissed as all hell about the shaving cream. Fortunately, I don't shave with canned cream anymore, you'd have a hard time commandeering my shaving soap for nefarious purposes these days.

    ReplyDelete