Sunday, October 18, 2015

Smooth Operator by Sade

This is the story about misheard lyrics.  I don't think that we ever even listened to the song in our teeny tiny dorm room.  Somehow it came up in conversation that Sara's little sister (I think) used to sing the following lyric:  "Smoooooooth Operator!  In Chi-Cago! (big emphasis on the Chi, pronounced with a hard ch-)  I thought that was pretty funny and to this day, that's what comes to mind if I hear the phrase or the song.  And of course, I think of sweet Sarah.

Sarah and I actually didn't have a ton in common, but we somehow made great roommates.  I remember being super jealous because she was clever and picked a super cool email address (a play on her last name), whereas I went with the boring first initial + last name combination.  She had hair so long she could just about sit on it.  She was tiny and cute, soft spoken, sweet natured.  At the same time, she did not hesitate to speak her mind.  I seem to remember some incident with her throwing a chip or something at someone.  The point being that the projectile did not fly well whatsoever and the end result being hilarious.  Maybe Kat can help me out on this!  Sarah didn't often come out with me, the party animal of our room.  It was a huge accomplishment when we finally convinced her to come out with us to a fraternity party.  I want to say it wasn't until Spring semester when this happened, but it was an epic party.  The fraternity had somehow flooded its basement and lined it with stepping stones to the bar. Copious drinking, dancing, and of course someone flirted with Sarah, because of course they did. Like I said, she was adorable.  And not at all a smooth operator in Chicago or Berkeley or anywhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment