Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger

It was Moms Night Out, specifically my last Moms Night Out in Fresno.  I was about to move back to the Bay Area and quite frankly, a bit torn about it.  I had made some wonderful friends in Fresno and I was going to miss them desperately.  In fact, as I sit here today, I do!

I planned the perfect night at the perfect venue.  Englemann Cellars hosted a Friday night event with live music, 21 and over.  It sounded perfect - no "scene", wine, music?  Yes, Please!  Logan T, Heather R, Allyson S, Kristin J, Cassandra W, and Sarah W were in attendance and we all brought an impressive array of sweets and savories.  Heather even brought a tiny princess folding table.  We were all in fantastic spirits, as we were away from the kiddos, enjoying the wine and the company.  The band was excellent, playing a mix of 70s, 80s, and 90s.  After about a half an hour, they announced that the lead singer had gone home with heatstroke.  We found this odd, as the band is native to Fresno and we figured he should've known better, but regardless, the show must go on.  The band continued and they still sounded great to our ears.


Later still, the band announced that they were just making do and if anyone cared to sing, they would welcome it.  Well I am hardly one to turn down an opportunity to be onstage, so I asked to peruse the set list.  Cassandra and Heather joined me for the first number.  We had a blast and the band was ever so grateful.  They welcomed us to sing more. So we did.  By then I was hooked on the energy and adrenaline of a live audience.  It was so much different than karaoke, I found out, as I started singing the chorus and realized I had backup singers!  I was really starting to get my groove on and requested to sing Flagpole Sitta.  It's a one-hit number from the late 90's and a good one.  It's not the easiest song to sing as it is pretty quick-paced, but I had the lyrics up on my phone and I totally pulled it off, if I do say so myself.  Heather said that I might not be the best singer (I wholeheartedly agree), but I have a ton of stage presence and energy.  There was jumping.  There was gesturing.  There was grabbing of the mic.  And I even got to yell "a 1, 2, 3, 4!" which is always fun to do.  This is totally my new karaoke song, by the way, although how can I go back now?  Afterwards my friends were blown away, which I found funny because anyone else wouldn't be surprised by my performance at all.  My Fresno friends only knew me as a stay-at-home mom and our kids usually steal the show.  It was fun to show them the real me before I left and now we have a song to remind us of that epic night.

No comments:

Post a Comment