Saturday, June 15, 2019

Cool for the Summer by Demi Lovato

It was o'dark thirty in January 2016 on a very rainy morning.  I had grossly miscalculated the time it would take to get to the Oakland airport on a weekday.  I had booked myself on a 1-day trip to Anaheim.  I was just three weeks into working full time again and decided a 1-day, like literally a commute, to Anaheim was a great idea!  I am also someone who cannot stand being early to things so I strive for on time, which means i am almost always late.  Point in case.

I had left my crying 18 month old daughter on my dad's chest.  I was driving in the pouring rain at a frustratingly slow rate down Highway 24 towards Oakland.  It was probably around 5am, but the weather made things difficult.  I am notoriously bad at driving...in the rain...in the dark.... in the snow.... in general... so I was not only stressed out but also very uneasy.  As you know, I tend to get stressed out about anything outside of actual driving, so I ended up listening to Cool for the Summer several times.  I had recently "discovered" the song by subscribing to Apple Music and then searching for best of 2015 so I could be up on all the latest and greatest.  Mind you, I was playing this song over and over in the dead of winter, in the RAIN, but it is somewhat ominous and something in the riff suggests a .... as in you don't know what will happen.

Well, what happened is that I was completely panicked and absolutely certain I was going to miss my flight.  It wasn't a huge deal, i would miss the first bit of a training I wasn't even conducting, but all the same.  I flat out ran from my car to the terminal, bypassing the shuttle.  I arrived at the gate only to find out.... the flight had been delayed.  I made it.  One would think I learned my lesson, but sadly I have only gotten more complacent, which is a story for another song!

No comments:

Post a Comment