Monday, June 24, 2013

The Sign by Ace of Base

We're going to hang out in Germany for one more night, at least.  Tonight we're going back to New Year's Eve, or as it is called in Germany, Sylvester 1994.  I was going to a party that promised to be epic on so many levels.  I didn't call it epic back then, but I probably said that I thought it was going to be so so geil.  Sabse had invited our group of friends to her house.  What made this evening particularly exciting was that I had a brand new boyfriend - my first ever boyfriend!  It was such a new relationship and new experience, we weren't even French Kissing yet!  I had done so only once before in a game of Spin the Bottle earlier that year and I mostly thought it was gross.  Obviously it takes the right person, but at that Silvester party, we were still very innocent and cute and new.

Let's see, who was there?  Mostly girls: Nina, Christiane, Sabse, Manu, and I.  A couple boys:  Alex, Sabse's boyfriend, and Bastian, mine.  Possibly some other folks?  Let me know who I am forgetting!  We girls were really into The Sign and we played it over and over during the party, singing at the top of our lungs.  The party hat of the evening was the baseball cap for some reason and all of us girls were wearing baseball caps from Sabse's collection. There was drinking, dancing, singing, kissing, and oddly, I think I remember a Magic Eye Poster.

I had the best time - I had always wanted to attend a New Year's party with girls AND boys who were not family and it was everything I hoped it would be.  Shortly before midnight, we hiked up to the top of the Turmberg (a local "hill" with an old lookout tower and castle ruins).  There was an excellent view from the top and it was packed full of people, young and old.  Fireworks helped ring in the New Year and everyone was laughing and joyful and Happy New Year-ing.  We celebrated with gusto and headed back down the hill to Sabse's house.  Bastian walked me back to the S-Bahn station so I could return to my host family's home in Berghausen.  Welcome 1994!

4 comments:

  1. From Sabine D: so funny that you remember the magic eye Poster unfortunately it does not exist anymore! But your brain made it alive again.thank you for these memories! Kisses sabse

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Manuela B: Ich warte ja immer noch auf DJ Bobo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dj bobo kommt noch . Vielleicht soll ich spaeter ein buch schreiben: die abentuere einer austauschschuelerin....

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Christiane F.: Dieses Lied und dieser Abend sind für mich ja auch untrennbar verbunden!!!

    ReplyDelete