Sunday, April 5, 2020

Release Me by Wilson Phillips

It was early freshman year.  I was sitting on the quad eating lunch with Mikhaela, Emily, and Katie.  We didn't have open campus, but you were allowed to sit pretty much anywhere you liked at lunchtime.  It wasn't exactly like the movies where every group had a specific table or a spot. At least, I didn't think it was.  There were some big groups of kids, but it was mostly seemed to me to be little groups of 3-6 kids sitting together in various places on campus.  In this story, we were sitting in the northwest corner of the quad, eating our sack lunches.  There were 3 or 4 boys who sat right across from us.  The boys were in the band, like we were, but they were worldly juniors.  I almost certainly had a crush on one of them.  Trumpet players were typically my type.  Sometimes we would talk to them, but we mostly talked ABOUT them.  We were all under the impression that they were talking about us, of course.  

One day they definitely were talking about us or at least they were trying to get our attention.  There was typically music playing over the loudspeakers in the quad, whatever was popular at the time.  The song Release Me by Wilson Phillips was playing.  The boys across from us had created their own lyrics to the song. Instead of singing "I'm just trying to make you see, that baby you've just got to release me" the boys loudly sang:  "I'm just trying to make you see, that baby you've just got to have sex with me".  We giggled of course, but mostly rolled our eyes because it was textbook dumb teenage boy behavior.  It wasn't even clever, it was just dumb.  They certainly got our attention though and that was the point.  What they probably don't know is how memorable it was, since I still cannot listen to that song without hearing their alternate lyrics.  And now, so will you!  Please release me from these lyrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment