Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thriller by Michael Jackson

Sometimes I wasn't a very nice big sister.  My sister and I are very different people and we do not share the same sense of humor.  We also react to things very differently.  I would argue that I do in fact possess a great deal of sensitivity and empathy, but it cannot be argued that my sister is much more sensitive than I am.  She doesn't care for being teased, but I have never minded because I crave attention.  I admit it. 

In the early 80's, we were living in Concord, CA.  Michael Jackson's Thriller album was all the rage.  I remember the stereo was in a closet or cupboard in the front room of our house which was the office/TV room.  Today, I am amazed daily at Dexter's ability to use the iPad and iPhone.  He turns them on, navigates to the folder he wants, and watches videos and plays games.  Now I am remembering I was no slouch myself when it came to technology.  I knew how to turn on the stereo, insert a cassette, press play AND press rewind!  Thriller came out in 1982 and we probably didn't buy the cassette until 1983, making me 5.  3 entire years older than Dexter is now, but still.  Technologically savvy!  I used this knowledge to torment my little sister who was only 2 at the time.  She was absolutely terrified of the maniacal laughter at the end of Thriller, so of course, I rewound that part over and over and laughed hysterically when she would run from the room crying.  I was so mean! 

Happy Halloween Cato!  I hope that nothing scares you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment