Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Romeo by Dino

It was a Friday night in October and a bunch of excited tweens (although that word didn't exist in 1990.  We were just 8th graders).  It was Emily H's birthday party!  It was going to be quite the evening.  The party started out in the garage, continued in the neighborhood with a scavenger hunt, and concluded at the high school football game.  I was so excited because my crush had been invited and he RSVP'd YES!  I think just about everyone's crush was coming, including Mikhaela D's and Katie S's. 

A few days before the party, we were at Emily's house planning everything (we might have been filming a movie for English class.  I definitely remember doing that, but I don't remember if that coincided with today's song).  Katie S. was also very excited about the party and she had come over to help as she lived right down the street.  She was putting together the music selection and the first song was Romeo by Dino.  Trust me, you want to click on the link and watch the video.  It is so quintessentially 1990...and so horrible, but in 1990 I am sure we thought the dancing was amazing and the high waisted shorts just the epitome of fashion.  It starts out with a little rap and then the music kicks in.  Katie was super excited about this song and she was really into it.  I loved that because Katie was normally very quiet and laid back and to see her really get into something made me smile.  I hadn't heard this Dino song and I agreed, it was so cool, I was sold, this music selection was going to make the party extra awesome. 

I am sure I put on my best t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up and made sure my bangs were as flat as a curly haired girl could get them.  I had to look my best for my crush and the high school football game.  We got paired up for the scavenger hunt and I was paired with my crush.  He was really competitive and we actually won the hunt.  We talked and talked throughout the entire football game as well.  He never became my "boyfriend", but I never stopped trying to impress him because he seemed encouraging.  A crush was all a 13 year old really needed anyway. 

1 comment:

  1. From Mikhaela C: Sorry for the late reply! Haha, brings back the memories! hadn't thought about this in forever. You have a good memory! Is this a blog you keep? Also Eme (9mo) started dancing when I played the video.

    ReplyDelete