Monday, April 7, 2014

Cattleprod by Lo Fidelity Allstars

Remember when I moved from the Mission District in San Francisco to Daly City and I had to buy a car?  My apartment was just far enough from the BART station to necessitate driving, mostly because the walk home was almost entirely uphill.  That was almost the extent of my driving - to and from BART, as well as trips to the grocery store or some other errand.  I took full advantage of my short little drives to play music at top volume in my car.  My rocking Hyundai with the CD player hooked into the cigarette lighter.  It was a little "me" time, alone in my car. 

Cattleprod was one of those songs that I listened to as I drove up, up, up to the top floor of the BART station to find a parking space or after work when I was winding down on my way home.  It has this killer beat and bass line that I couldn't get enough of.  My mornings could be really stressful because I started work at 8am, just like practically everyone else in San Francisco, which meant the parking lot filled up all at once and I could miss getting a space by a minute or two!  Eventually BART started charging for parking, with the option to purchase a reserved spot on the 1st or 2nd level.  I purchased the spot, not because it afforded me the flexibility to arrive at work whenever I wanted, but because I didn't need that kind of stress in the morning.  Yet there was something about the dark, concrete parking structure that I really liked because I felt like I could just blast the music almost in private and really listen to it, as opposed to being focused on driving.  My driving "skills" have been talked about before, so there is no need to point out that a parking lot/structure is probably one of the most distracting, accident prone places to be.  On the other hand, all of the commuters were on autopilot, just like me, so there was rarely a case of someone waiting on a space or driving slowly while looking for a spot.  Everyone knew to just keep going up, up, up to find the last remaining spaces.  Sometimes I really miss commuting and that "me" time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment