Monday, April 28, 2014

Zombie Nation by Kernkraft 400

Even though I was living in the East Bay and San Francisco for a number of years, it wasn't until 2002 that I really took advantage of how easy it was to go to Oakland A's games.  It was a quick BART ride after work and then on weekends there were tailgates!  2002 was a big year for me and Oakland A's baseball and I went to quite a few games.  It also happened to be a big year for the A's with an amazing, unstoppable pitching staff, including Zito, Hudson, Mulder, and Koch.  In spite of this, it was never difficult to get A's tickets and I almost always bought mine at the gate.  I went with friends, family, co-workers, anyone who wanted to go with me.  I always had a blast and I often "watched" the games I couldn't go to online if they weren't on TV and even listened to them on the radio.   Nick might've actually considered me a real fan that year.  I certainly am not much of a fan now.  Still call myself an A's fan, but I don't watch any games or follow them whatsoever. 

2002 was also the year of the 20 game winning streak.  I was very emotional watching the film Moneyball because it documented this entire year of baseball so well.  What a treat to have this great year that already stands out in my memory on film!  I went to 3 out of the 4 last games in the streak.  So typical of A's "fans", that 20th game, a Wednesday $1 hot dogs and tickets game, ended up completely selling out, including opening up some seats on Mt. Davis.  Luckily for me, my mom's friends had coincidentally bought tickets for this particular game ages ago, not knowing it would be such an historical event.  I had been offered a ticket.  It was such an amazing day.  It was an exciting game, coming down to the wire with a walk off home run to win the game and continue the streak, breaking a record.  There was this amazing energy, everyone on their feet cheering throughout the game.  I may have even cried when we won (there is no may have about.  I totally did).  We broke out in the Wave, which is really impressive with a packed house.  And of course, the strains of Oh-Oh-Oh softly coming in as Zombie Nation started playing, which served to energize the crowd even more.  I hear that song and think of a batter stepping up to the plate, the crack of the bat, the crowd cheering.  All the sights, sounds, smells, and feelings in baseball.  That is why I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment