Monday, April 13, 2015

Always With Me, Always With You by Joe Satriani

I appear to be stuck at work at Allegiance Telecom, for here we are again.  For a change, let's go back to the (short amount of ) time when I was successful at work.  During the summer of 2000, I was hitting my quota, getting my name called during national conference calls, and generally having a blast at work.  I loved my boss and my team.  I had a window seat next to my cubicle facing the Transamerica Tower and I was one of the lucky few who got their own computer.
We had a lot of fun in the office that summer with tons of contests and activities to drive everyone to exceed their monthly quota.  In August we kicked off with a scavenger hunt of sorts, cold calling until we set our appointments.  The reward was a big reveal that we were all meeting at Pier 23 for lots of drinks and food.  It was a gorgeous day, to boot, and I was in a great mood.  We all had to take a picture and the following Monday, we learned we were all on Telecom Survivor.  At the end of each day we would gather in the conference room.  If you set an appointment that day, you improved your chances of staying on the island.  A name would be drawn and some trivia was read.  One day I proudly correctly guessed my teammate Don H.  He was very new to Allegiance and to my team and he was just a great guy!  Friendly, funny, smart.  I think he gave me one of my most favorite nicknames ever that summer (Stouty). 
Later that month, during one of my marathon downloading sessions, I asked Don for some song ideas.  He enjoyed techno as much as I did, but that day he suggested a song by Joe Satriani.  It came out that this was his seduction song, used to romance the ladies.  I think someone said that Don had mad game with the ladies and I scoffed at this, which totally hurt his feelings.  What I was trying to impart was that Don didn't seem like this love 'em and leave 'em ladies man....a Mr. Big...a douchebag.  He didn't seem like a game player to me and I meant it as a good thing!  I don't remember if I ever got my point across or if it just got awkward.  It probably just got awkward.  So sorry Don!  I wonder what he is up to now?

No comments:

Post a Comment