Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Footloose by Kenny Loggins

It strikes me that I seem to have several childhood dancing memories with Lauren Y which is funny because we have never once gone dancing as adults!  Last year when we attended a concert together, I barely remember us so much as moving our hips (well maybe we moved them just a little). 

When Footloose came out in theaters, it was a huge hit, as was the soundtrack.  We listened to it a lot at my house.  I loved so many of the songs, especially the title track Footloose.  I remember that I begged and pleaded to see the movie, but it was rated R and appropriately so.  In other words, a completely inappropriate movie for 7 year old me.  My parents finally gave in and let me watch ... the opening credits.  The opening credits are actually pretty awesome, just a bunch of feet dancing to Footloose.  Years later I finally did watch the movie and it is.... ok.  There are some great parts, it's definite an 80's classic, but also some not so great parts.  For the record I'm not at all sure why they felt the need to remake it.  The original was definitely better than the remake.

I can't remember if it was before or after I saw the opening credits, but in any case, one day Lauren and I were at her house and we decided to make up a little dance to Footloose.  There is a line in the song about kicking off our Sunday shoes.  So of course, the most important part of our little routine was kicking off our shoes at the moment when Kenny Loggins sings the line.  Easier said than done, so we practiced that fun move a lot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment