Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cowboy by Kid Rock

2001 started out as a rough year.  I was coming out a relationship with extreme difficulty.  I was miserable in my job.  It was the pits.  Once I started to come out of the doldrums, I started making some positive changes and really thinking about what would make me happy.  I decided that I would really enjoy starting a custom tour business.  When visitors came to San Francisco, I loved putting together tours that were out of the ordinary.  I'd pick out hidden spots around the city, unique restaurants, and interesting routes. I figured I could do the same for 2 other places I knew and loved and as an added bonus, the tour business would pay my way there!  Jen's Journeys was born.  I purchased domain names and Jacob L. put together an amazing website for me.  I decided I'd start with "The Beers of Germany" and "The Festivals of Spain". 

To launch the plan, I threw a fabulous birthday party for myself.  I talked to the owner of my favorite college hangout - The Bison Brewery.  I reserved the entire top floor and planned the food and drink menu with great care.  I created customized beer coaster party favors. I also had a music playlist - the Jen's Journey mix.  The first song on it was Cowboy and I jumped onto a table to do a little dance for everyone, although I immediately felt silly and regretted that moment of spontaneity. Coyote Ugly Bar, it was not.  I talked all about my business idea and even garnered some interest!  It was a fantastic party with a huge turnout of friends both new and old, as well as telecom clients, and family. 

So whatever happened to Jen's Journeys?  I can tell you that 9/11 happened just over a month later and that put a damper on things.  That is partially true.  I also got scared because I had a great idea, but I didn't have a business plan.  I didn't know about start-up costs, operating costs, marketing, business licenses, etc, etc, etc.  I am pretty risk averse and the more I thought about running my own business, the more it terrified me.  So instead I worked myself out of sales and into something more suited to me and eventually went to business school to learn about all of those things I mentioned.  I still have no desire to run my own business or be my own boss, but at least now I know how!

1 comment:

  1. From Jacob L: Wow, I had totally forgot all about that! I did like how that web site looked. I still do a little web design for family. It's fun every once in a great while, but I too am glad it's not a business I have to run for myself! Being a rockstar geologist is much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete