Friday, July 26, 2013

Wild Wild West by Kool Moe Dee

Lucky for my dad, our Turlock next door neighbors had a teenage girl, aka, a babysitter!  Traci N.was a lot of fun and we always behaved very well for her.  Honestly, we behaved pretty well for all of our babysitters.  We were nice kids.  Traci chaperoned my first slumber party, as well as babysat on the weekends as needed.  Since she had a younger brother my age and they were right next door, I was over at their place from time to time.  One of those times, she was listening to music in her room and it was an ominous, scary sounding song.  There were a couple of them that year - Wild Wild West by Kool Moe Dee and Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.  The context of DJ Jazzy Jeff's song was pretty scary, all about Freddy Kruger coming to life, but Will Smith's voice was too cheerful and upbeat to really scare me.  Wild Wild West on the other hand... starting with the dark bass line and ghostly sound effects....it gave me the chills.

It was the perfect song to set the scene for when my crush of the week, Sean H. came over to hang out.  I had a Ouija Board in 6th grade (who bought me that I wonder?) and it was a hot game of the time.  No one else had one, but everyone loved playing.  We would ask it all kinds of questions and I will burst everyone's bubble today by confessing the most of the time, I was moving the pointer.  Sorry!  I truly tried to concentrate and let the spirits do their thing, but just like "Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board", Hypnotism, and Magic Eye Posters, the Ouija Board did not work for me.  The song really set the mood though and I got to sit really close to my crush, knees touching, board on our laps.  There was the spooky aspect, we were in my room alone, it was downright romantic.

Seconds after Sean's mom came and picked him up, I heard a knock at the door.  I 100% thought (hoped) he had returned because he forgot something... he forgot to kiss me.  That is what happens in the movies and on TV, and there was all the romance!  The mood setting!  The knees touching!  Sadly, my life was not like the movies.  He had forgotten his hat or something.  The most embarrassing part was that he ASKED me if I thought he had come back to kiss me!  Was he teasing me or had the thought crossed his mind?  Alas he never did kiss me and I eventually moved on to a new crush. 

No comments:

Post a Comment