Saturday, July 6, 2013

Faith by Limp Bizkit and George Michael

Nick and I were driving, sun roof open, blaring Faith by Limp Bizkit.  It was one of many epic weekends that summer.  We were in a brand new relationship where everything was fun and exciting.  Every single weekend was packed full of stuff.  For example, that weekend Nick picked me up in Daly City, bright and early on a Saturday morning.  I had packed a picnic lunch and spent the night before making fried chicken and shopping at TJ's.  We drove down to Monterey, taking Highway 1 all the way there.  We viewed a couple apartments for my upcoming move there, picnicked, walked along the Wharf, and enjoyed some margaritas while watching the sea lions.  Then we headed back up Highway 1 and decided to stop in Santa Cruz.  We rode a couple roller coasters and relaxed on the beach.  When we got back to Daly City, I packed my overnight bag and we continued over the bridge, calling in some takeout on the way so we could enjoy the evening.  Today a day like that would overwhelm us and we would never attempt such a thing.  Back to the music - we were playing Nick's mix CD and Faith was one of the songs.  Honestly, I am not convinced this was remix that needed to be made, as the original was great.  Limp Bizkit is one of those angry-sounding bands that screams everything, rather than singing, and I will tell you that Nick and I really enjoyed banging our heads and screaming along with them as we drove down the highway.  This was obviously very early in the relationship as I had not put together a road trip mix tape for him yet.  I was still getting to know him after all!

About the original Faith by George Michael.  My sister and I used to go to the Rec Center after school every day.  It was a roller rink, mini golf course, super slide, and after school program.  Pretty fun idea and kudos to my dad for being original!  Initially, he had mapped out a bike route for me and my sister.  Turlock was a lot smaller back in 1988 and a lot of roads did not go through.  For example, Hawkeye did not exist between Berkeley and Colorado or between North and Geer.  He created this very roundabout route, avoiding big streets, and at the time it seemed ENDLESS.  I just mapped it and it was about 2.5 miles.  But I was only 10 and Catherine was 7!  Little legs!  Eventually we talked him into letting us take Dial-a-Ride and we rode with my friend Justine P and picked up some kids from Crowell School along the way.  Justine had a Walkman and one day we listened to Faith on the way to the Rec Center.  I remember we were positively scandalized by the lyric:  :Wouldn't it be nice?  If I could touch your body!"  We didn't exactly know what that meant, but we knew it was something scandalous.  She got me really hooked on the song and we sang it all the way there for a couple days at least.  ....cause you gotta have Faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment