Monday, July 8, 2013

Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers

We'll start off back in the summer of 1992.  We were visiting some old family friends in Martinez for the 4th of July weekend.  The oldest daughter and I were just 1 year apart and we got along really well.  She had just finished up 8th grade at a Catholic K-8 school and I am sorry to say that everything you hear about Catholic schoolgirls was true at this school.  She told me all kinds of stories about what the kids were up to and I was properly scandalized.  After finishing my Freshman year in high school, I was still incredibly naive and inexperienced.  I had never even been kissed!  My grown-up self is still scandalized by some of the things she told me.  In any case, she has this brilliant plan that we would go hang out with her friend James.  Apparently he was super fine.  We headed off on foot, through downtown Martinez, and up Alhambra Rd, finally ending up at James' house.  I just mapped it and we walked over 4 miles!  Need I mention this was without permission or telling our parents where we were going?  No wonder my Dad was so mad and wouldn't let me go to the fireworks!  The worst part is that the hanging out with boys part wasn't very fun either.  I had no idea what to talk about, or how to flirt and besides, I didn't think he was very cute. 

That didn't stop me from agonizing about it for weeks afterwards.  Should I write him a letter and send my school picture?  (Maureen said yes).  What did it mean when he said xxx?  What did it mean when he sat down next to me?  I turned this completely stupid, innocent, uneventful day into this BIG DEAL.  When we went to my Grandpa's in Martinez a couple weeks later, I decided to call this boy for some reason.  My dad said I couldn't, but I hid in the spare room and called anyway.  GETTING TO THE POINT....I called and his friend answered and then I heard him telling the boy who I was and he clearly had no recollection of who I was.  I also think they were drinking.  They put the phone down and totally forgot about me.  The song playing in the background was Under the Bridge.  I don't ever wanna feel....like I did that day.  That part of the song.  Which I later listened to obsessively.  I was humilated!  Over nothing! 

To make up for that (non) event....Under the Bridge was the very last song in the very last show I ever played in the Cal Band.  It was bittersweet.  I still really loved the song, regardless of past connotations and it was the perfect way to end my time as a Bandsman.  The best part was when we started playing it on the football field, I suddenly realized I could hear the stadium singing along with us!  I caught Kathy's eye and we both smiled in amazement at the realization.  I may have even shed a tear.  It was amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment