Sunday, June 2, 2013

Birdhouse in Your Soul by They Might Be Giants

Sophomore Year in High School - too young to drive, so I needed a ride to Modesto to participate in the Stanislaus County Honor Band.  I don't remember how it happened, but I got a ride with Dave T.  I didn't know him very well at the time.  He was very quiet and I was better friends with his brother Sam.  Dave had an older car, I have no idea what kind of car it was, maybe a brown car, but it had enormous speakers.  The kind of speakers that filled up the entire back window.  They were crazy big and more than anything, they were crazy LOUD.  He played Birdhouse in Your Soul for us and I thought it was just the weirdest song.  What does that even mean?  A Birdhouse in Your Soul? 

We cruised on up to Modesto, playing that song (and probably some others) so loudly that you could barely hear the song.  You mostly heard the LOUD.  It was a blast.  I felt so cool, being driven around by a peer, heading out of town all the way to Modesto.  Auditioning for Honor Band.  I bested a Senior (I was 12th chair to her 20-something), but I ended up sitting in the back row with her anyway.  My competitive edge was a little softer that year and I was lacking a little confidence.  Plus, she was my friend.  It was a fun week of practicing, racing down Standiford Ave. at 90mph (I think I remembering that correctly.  It was exhilarating and scary!) trying to beat out our friends.  It might've been Mike S. - he had a fast, loud car, too.  I can't remember who won.  I just remember how much fun we had.

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch who watches over you.  (seriously, what are they talking about!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment