Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Today by Smashing Pumpkins

You never forget the first time.  The first kiss.  The first crush.  The first love.  The first car you drove.  The first show you played in the Cal Band.  (COUGH*BAND DORK*COUGH)

I wasn't going to join the Cal Band.  In spite of having many fun memories and having made lots of friends in the band in High School, there were some lingering bad memories.  They mostly had to do with horribly uncomfortable and hopelessly dorky uniforms.  The best football game I remember was the one game where we didn't have to wear our uniforms, although I can't remember why we lucked out.  I attended the "Welcome to Cal BBQ" held at Tellefson Hall by the Cal Band, before I started school, but between then and school starting, I decided I was definitely not joining the Band.  I must've received an invitation to attend Band Camp (or as they call it at Cal, infinitely cooler, FTP for Fall Training Program).  I did not attend. 

In spite of all this, the week before school started found me walking back from downtown Berkeley, wistfully watching the Cal Band walk into Edwards Stadium.  They looked like they were all having so much fun and they had what I wanted, more than anything:  a built in group of friends, a camaraderie, a fraternity/sorority, if you will.  I wanted that!  I walked right on up to one of those Bandsmen and it turned out to be Vince J!  Shaggy Vince!  He was very welcoming and marched me right on into the stadium where he introduced me to the director of the Band.  I auditioned and the rest is history. 

Oh yeah - our first show.  The Alternative Show.  It started with Today by Smashing Pumpkins; then Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden; followed by Even Flow by Pearl Jam; and concluding with Basketcase by Green Day.  I was so wrong about the coolness factor.  I had gone from John Philip Sousa hell to GREEN DAY.  Not only was it, for me, the epitome of cool, it was also a ton of fun. 

1 comment:

  1. From Vince J: Mr. Vain was my first-kiss song! And you were carrying your clarinet case when I saw your golden curls coming down Frank Schlessinger Way (looked up the name of the avenue between the band hall and Edwards Stadium). You said, "Is this the way to band practice?" Then you told me you missed band orientation because you'd been in Germany snogging your boyfriend. And I of course thought, "cool, her boyfriend isn't here!"

    ReplyDelete