Saturday, June 29, 2013

Stuck in the Middle with You by Stealer's Wheel

Bryan A. and I were on the road, probably stuck in I-80 traffic, on our way to a ski weekend in Tahoe.  In preparation for the trip, I had asked Bryan what his favorite song might be so I could create the perfect mix for our drive.  He said, "It's that song that goes, clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right."  I did some asking around and figured out it was Stuck in the Middle.  I was super proud of my Ski CD and I had a bunch of great songs, interspersed with little quotes from Austin Powers, like Shh! and Zip It!  We were cruisin down the road and I turned up the volume on Under My Thumb, a song I thought Bryan really liked (which has a story all its own).  Bryan was not showing me the appropriate level of appreciation and excitement.  In fact, he said something like this:  "Sure, this is a great song, but it definitely doesn't require blasting the volume."  I strongly disagreed. 

We made in to Tahoe in one piece and we were joined by Mitch, Vince, Tammy, maybe Juraj, maybe Laurel?  I honestly can't remember the specifics as we took a couple trips to that cabin over the course of a couple of years.  Jenny wasn't with us this time because she was busily laboring at home.  She labored and labored without realizing it was happening.  This is why Bryan received a phone call on the slopes to the effect of: "You'd better ski on down the mountain and hurry up.  The baby is on his way."  Unfortunately Bryan didn't make it for the delivery, but he has been there for every step of his son's life ever since!  I wasn't stuck in the middle, but I was almost stuck in Tahoe.  I must've gotten a ride with someone who might've even sung along with the music on my Ski CD.  In fact, since I don't remember whatsoever, let's just say they did!


1 comment:

  1. From Bryan A: Almost 11 years ago that was. Zoinks

    ReplyDelete