Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fields of Joy by Lenny Kravitz

It was the morning after another epic party at Niels H's house.  In an earlier post, I talked about the cool German kids.  Niels was THE coolest.  I was super intimidated by him for the longest time, but then I fell in love with his best friend and by extension, Niels became my friend, too.  He had long hair and he wore biker boots, but they were legit.  He rode a motorcycle!  He even picked me up once from the train station which was the only time I have ever ridden on a motorcycle.  I wasn't scared back then, but I am now. 

Niels threw the best parties.  They reminded me of something I'd seen on Beverly Hills, 90210.  His bedroom was like his own private guesthouse.  He had two rooms of his own and his own bathroom and the rooms were somewhat removed from the rest of the house.  He also had access to the yard.  The party was certainly a lot of fun, but today we are going back to the morning after.  I had spent the night and in the morning it was just me, Bastian, and Niels.  Yes, Mom and Dad, I spent the night (innocently, believe it or not!) at some boys house with my boyfriend.  I remember Niels brought in breakfast: cappuccinos, fresh rolls with jam, butter, and different wursts.  He was playing the Lenny Kravitz Mama Said album which began with Fields of Joy.  The album had come out before Are You Gonna Go My Way, a popular song at the time, and I loved that we were listening to something that wasn't super trendy that I hadn't heard 100x before, or possibly ever.  I felt impossibly sophisticated.  A grown-up breakfast, listening to very cool music, no parents, with just my boyfriend and my favorite boy friend.  I showered and got ready for the day there and I just remember feeling like I was so safe in that place, with two people who would do anything for me.  I was the picture of contentment.  I didn't even have to worry that I was going to get in trouble because I was breaking a rule.  I don't *think* I lied to my host mom.  In fact, I think she was out of town and my host sister was in charge.  So that explains that!

No comments:

Post a Comment