Monday, June 3, 2013

Except for Monday by Lorrie Morgan

My Uncle Bill moved to Seattle after college because he got a job with Boeing.  In 1992, we took a little Spring Break road trip to visit him.  My mom told me I could be in charge of the music.  This was a very important responsibility and I had to carefully select 8 tapes.  Only 8 tapes!  I had one of those boxes with a lid that hold 8 cassettes in their cases.  One of the tapes I selected was one of my early mix tapes.  I clearly was still a novice mixer, as this tape included the Imperial March from Star Wars followed by Except for Monday by Lorrie Morgan followed by Unbelievable by EMF.  I know.  It IS unbelievable that I would have conscientiously put that particular combination together.  Since there were only 8 tapes and it is a 15 hour road trip (EACH WAY), we heard that combination of songs quite a few times.

That road trip was so much fun.  I am a big believer in the journey being part of the experience and not just a means to arrive at the destination.  I remember being unreasonably excited when we stopped along the way and stayed in a Motel 6.  Road trips with my dad were always planned out, thanks to his job at AAA.  We had a TripTik map and each hotel was booked in advance.  I thought it was so amazing and spontaneous and adventurous that we just stopped and found a hotel and just stayed there!  Without a reservation!  And a Motel 6!  I remember being really impressed because in my 14-year-old brain, I had a preconceived notion that they are a dump.  It was actually just your average cheap motel, but it was clean, they had extra pillows, and I was impressed.

As we approached Seattle, we were counting down (or maybe up?) the exit numbers until we got to Uncle Bill's exit.  But first, we went around a curve and there was the Seattle skyline!  We cheered, so excited were we to see it. And then.  AND THEN.  I saw the Kingdome.  Again, you are thinking, this kid is weird.  She gets excited about cheap motels and ugly ballparks.  I was so excited because my mom and I had plans to go to a Mariners game!  It was to be my 6th ballpark on my mission to see them all. 

The journey was a blast.  And the destination was, too.  But that is a story for another song!

No comments:

Post a Comment