Friday, June 7, 2013

Hey Man Nice Shot by Filter

I needed to make some quick money to buy a plane ticket to Germany.  The problem was, I was in high school, minimum wage was $4.25 and a plane ticket was about $800.  There was no quick money.  Showing a sense of self-worth and confidence I would kill for today, I first went to McDonalds where I filled out an application.  I had no patience for that, so I then drove over to Taco Bell where my friend Shelley introduced me to her manager and I finagled an on-the-spot interview and got hired.  Done!

I really enjoyed working there, especially since I was quickly assigned to the drive thru window which was the most fun since there was rarely a break and most importantly, I didn't have to clean the dining room.  I especially enjoyed (most of) my co-workers.  By the time summer rolled around, I had gotten to know a fun group.  We decided to hit up the local lakes on our days off.  One of our day trips was out to the Modesto Reservoir.  Since we all had places to go afterwards, we ended up taking six cars.  I loved driving out in the middle of the country along those long, dusty, country roads.  Speed limits were non-existent.  I was driving a 1967 pink Mustang that summer and in spite of my complete disinterest in fixing it up or maintaining it whatsoever, it was a blast driving it.  It was loud and fast.  It was also hot with no air conditioning so driving with the windows down was a must.  On that trip we were constantly passing each other, yelling out the windows, waving, laughing.  It was a blast.  I had just received a mix tape from a friend and one of the songs on it was Hey Man Nice Shot.  It was an excellent song for driving down those country roads.

So I just googled the song.  I had no idea that it was about a suicide.  I just liked that it started off ominous and grumbling and then built into this loud, yelling, powerful rock song.  Most of the time when I look up the lyrics to songs, I find out I am completely off base.  I am the queen of misheard lyrics.  Most of the time I like my interpretation much better.  Driving through the country on the way to the lake with my friends is SO MUCH BETTER than a suicide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment